Orthodontic FAQ

  1. What are wisdom teeth?

    Wisdom teeth are also known as third molars. These are the last set of teeth to develop. Whether wisdom teeth cause your mouth harm depends on several factors including the size of your jaw and how your wisdom teeth grow in.
  1. What are some of the problems wisdom teeth can cause?

    Wisdom teeth can cause symptoms like pain & swelling. They can grow in a variety of directions & cause damage to nearby teeth, gums and bone. They can also cause gum disease, crowding, decay and cysts.
  1. Can I eat or drink before having extractions?

    You must not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
  1. Can I drive myself home after having anesthesia?

    You should not drive any vehicle or operate machinery for 24 hours following your anesthesia.
  1. Is it normal to have numbness of the lip, chin, or tongue following oral surgery?

    This can happen but is usually temporary in nature. You should be aware that if your lip or tongue is numb, you could bite it and not feel the sensation. So be careful.
  1. Do I have to go to the hospital to have extractions or oral surgery with anesthesia?

    Oral surgeons have extensive training in anesthesia administration. We are licensed with the state of Nevada to do many procedures in our office. Some surgical procedures require a hospital setting.
  1. Will I have pain or swelling after oral surgery?

    Every patient is unique in this area. If you have pain and swelling it will subside more and more each day after surgery. If your post-operative pain or swelling seems to worsen or unusual symptoms occur, please call our office.
  1. Can anyone receive dental implants?

    Dental implants are an excellent option for missing teeth. Suitable candidates for dental implants need to have an adequate bone level and density, must not be prone to infection and must be willing to maintain good oral hygiene practices. Our oral surgeons can evaluate if implants are the best alternative for you.
  1. If I have a lump or sore in my mouth, should I see my general dentist or an oral surgeon?

    Most general dentists will check for oral cancer during your routine examines. If your dentist finds something suspicious, they will refer you to an oral surgeon. An oral surgeon has the ability to perform a biopsy
    to detect the possibility of cancer.